Do you want to begin your academic journey in Japan? There’s good news! International students can apply for a variety of Japan Scholarships for International Students 2023. In this article, we will go through many available Scholarships for International Students at major Japanese universities, their benefits, and the in-depth application process.
For the 2022-2023 academic session, there are over 500 scholarships for foreign students at Japan’s best universities. These scholarships cover tuition, housing, health insurance, and travel expenses in addition to a monthly stipend of $2000 on average.
You can apply for any of these fully funded scholarships to study at world-renowned institutions such as Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University, Honjo International Scholarship Foundation, National Institute of Genetics, among others.
Japan Scholarships for International Students 2023
Below is a list of available Japan scholarships for foreign students:
- MEXT Scholarship
- Honjo International Scholarship Foundation
- NIG Postdoctoral Fellowship
- MEXT University Recommendation Scholarship
- Joint Japan World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program
International students can apply for the MEXT Japanese Government Scholarship, which is a fully funded scholarship for foreign students to study in Japan. This scholarship is available to students pursuing undergraduate, master’s, doctoral, and training programs. The MEXT scholarship will cover tuition, housing, a monthly living allowance, and round-trip flights from your home country to Japan.
- Institution: Universities in Japan
- Undergraduate, Master’s, PhD, and Training programs are available.
Honjo International Scholarship Foundation provides Master’s and PhD students with fully funded scholarships for international students. This scholarship is available for foreign students who are pursuing master’s and doctoral degree. Honjo Scholarships provide a monthly stipend, as well as housing and travel expenses to an international conference.
- Honjo International Scholarship Foundation is a non-profit organization that provides scholarships to international students.
- Master’s or Ph.D programs are available
3. NIG Postdoctoral Fellowship
International students can apply for the NIG Postdoctoral Fellowship, which is a fully funded scholarship in Japan for international students. Employment is for a maximum of three years from the date of hire, with annual reappointment. This fellowship will pay an annual salary of about ¥4,100,000, plus tax, health insurance through a mutual society, commuting allowance (conditional), and compensation insurance.
- National Institute of Genetics is a research institute that focuses on genetics.
- Postdoctoral level of study
4. MEXT University Recommendation Scholarship
International students can apply for MEXT University Recommendation Scholarships, which are fully funded scholarships for foreign students to study in Japan. These scholarships are for master’s and doctoral students. The MEXT University Recommendation Scholarship will cover 100% of tuition, as well as ¥144,000 monthly living allowance and economy class airfare.
- Study in Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University (APU)
- Master’s and doctoral degrees are available.
5. Joint Japan World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program
Foreign students can apply for a fully funded master’s scholarship through the Joint Japan World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program. The complete tuition fee, housing, economy class air travel, and monthly living expenses will be covered by the Joint Japan World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program.