Applications are currently open for the OWSD PhD Fellowship program to undertake PhD research in developing country in the Global South. We will go through the details of this fellowship program, its rewards, and the application process step by step in this article.
OWSD PhD Fellowship 2023
Women scientists from science- and technology-lagging countries (STLCs) can apply for the OWSD PhD Fellowship 2023-2024 to pursue PhD research in natural, engineering, and information technology sciences. This fellowship includes a monthly stipend, visa costs, and a contribution to annual medical insurance.
- Program: PhD
- Deadline: April 15, 2023
The program is managed with substantial support from the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA) and is given in partnership with guest groups throughout the developing world.
The program is run with generous funding from the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida) and is delivered in collaboration with host institutes around the world.
The OWSD PhD Fellowship 2023 program’s overall goal is to support the development of a new generation of female leaders in science and technology, as well as their effective participation in their nations’ scientific and technological growth.
The fellowship program’s objectives are as follows:
- To improve young and brilliant women graduates from STLCs’ access to educational and training opportunities in science and technology.
- Women scientists’ scientific output and inventiveness in STLCs should be increased.
- To encourage a new generation of bright women to pursue careers in science and technology leadership.
- Encourage female scientists to contribute to their native countries’ long-term development.
- On a regional and international level, to enable women scientists from the South to collaborate and network.
Candidates can select one of two study plans:
- A four-year full-time fellowship in which the research is carried out exclusively at a host institute in another developing country in the South.
- A sandwich fellowship requires the candidate to be enrolled as a Ph.D. student in her home country while also studying in a host institute in another developing country. The sandwich fellowship covers a minimum of one and up to three research visits to the host institute. The initial visit should last at least 6 months. The entire time spent at the host institute must not exceed 20 months. The funding period is limited to four years. The sandwich option, which allows candidates to acquire their Ph.D. in their home country while accessing specialised researchers and equipment at the host institute, is particularly encouraged by OWSD.
OWSD PhD Fellowships 2023 Benefits
Support for the OWSD PhD Fellowship is only available while the student is on site at the host institute.
The OWSD fellowship covers the following:
- A monthly allowance to cover basic living expenditures in the host nation, such as lodging and meals.
- During the fellowship, you will be given a special allowance to attend international conferences.
- For the agreed-upon research time, a return ticket from the home nation to the host institute.
- Visa charges
- Contribution to medical insurance each year.
- On a competitive basis, the opportunity to attend regional science communication workshops.
- Study fees (including tuition and registration fees) in accordance with the host institute’s expectations.
Areas of focus include:
- Agricultural Sciences
- Astronomy, Space and Earth Sciences
- Biological Systems and Organisms
- Chemical Sciences
- Computing and Information Technology
- Engineering Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Medical and Health Sciences
- Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
The following are not covered by the OWSD PhD fellowship:
- Consumables and bench fees
- Language training assistance, either before or during the fellowship term.
- Support for research sample transport.
- Purchase of a personal computer or software.
- Family support
- Personal considerations necessitate additional return tickets to the home nation.
OWSD PhD Fellowship Requirements
The following conditions must be met in order to be considered for the OWSD PhD Fellowship:
- English is a required language.
- The list of countries that are eligible can be seen here.
- A master’s degree in one of the subjects of study indicated above is required.
- The host institutes must be in a developing South Asian country (not the candidate’s native country).
- Candidates must state that they plan to return to their native country as soon as possible when the fellowship is completed.
How to Apply for OWSD PhD Fellowships
How Can I Apply for OWSD PhD Fellowship? To apply for this fellowship, please follow the steps below:
- Go to the web portal and fill out an application form.
- Upload the following required document:
- Outline for a Ph.D. research proposal
- Transcripts and degree certificates
- Curriculum Vitae (CV).
- Letter of preliminary acceptance from at least one host institution.
- Letter of commitment from the host university
- 2 letters of recommendation
- Candidates must submit a scanned copy of the passport page containing their personal information (photo, document number etc.).
- Candidates who apply for a SANDWICH study scheme must also submit the following documents:
- Registration and a certificate of no objection.
- Home supervisor’s supporting statement.
Please visit the official website for more information on OWSD PhD Fellowships 2023.